Designing a house shall be in accordance with standards required by the Building Code. There are standard minimum and maximum quantities to be complied to make a building or house safe and healthy to use or live in. The following are based on the National Building Code of the Philippines.
1. Room for human habitants shall not be less than 6 square meters area with at least dimension of 2 meters.
2. Kitchen shall not be less than 3 square meters area with at least dimension of 1.5 meters.
3. Bathroom and Toilet shall not be less than 1.2 square meters area with at least dimension of 0.9 meters.
4. Habitat rooms shall not be less than 14 cubic meters volume of air space per person.
5. Window openings area shall not be less than 10% of the floor area.
6. The minimum height of foundation shall be 0.6 meters from ground level to the bottom of the footings. And the thickness of footings shall not be less than 0.25 meters.
7. Stairs shall have minimum width of 0.75 meters. Its rise shall not be more than 0.20 meters while its run shall not be less than 0.20 meters.
8. Ceiling height shall not be less than 2.4 mters. But for the ground floor of multi-storey building, the ceiling height shall be at least of 2.7 meters. While the minimum of 1.8 meters height is allowed for mezzanine.