The Bakong Production Center of the Laguna De Cagayan Handicraft Association in Sta. Teresita, Cagayan and the Christian Farmers MPC in Cabagan, Isabela were the beneficiaries of the continuing collaboration of DTI and the Canadian Executive Service Organization (CESO) with the deployment and assignment of Mr. Eric Cheong as Volunteer Advisor (VA) from March 20-30, 2017.
VA Eric Cheong, an industrial engineer by profession, eagerly shared his expertise on production system enhancement by assessing the current operational strategies of both MSMEs, introducing new procedures, and improving the plant lay-out to achieve more effective and higher rate of productivity. He spent four (4) days with the Laguna De Cagayan Handicraft Association and another three (3) days with the Christian Farmers MPC working with key production staff and other personnel.
On March 24 and 30 2017, VA Eric Cheong conducted an exit conference for Laguna De Cagayan and CFMPC respectively. Mr. Cheong presented his recommendations for the productivity improvement of the Bakong Production Center to Mayor Lolita Garcia of LGU Sta. Teresita.
The assignment resulted to the following:
1) Technical advises of revised plant layout, equipment utilization changes and production/material flow changes were recommended to the clients.
2) Performed five (5) production trials for Laguna De Cagayan and three (3) production trials for CFMPC to verify the recommended changes and had resulted more than 50% productivity improvement.
3) Identified production bottlenecks from material preparation to processing for Clients to work on.
4) Key stakeholders were equipped with the skills in setting up production work cell, process flow analysis and method of setting up production target/rate.
5) Provided recommendations on future space requirements, specifications of additional processing equipment and new production techniques which are more effective than those which are currently being adopted by the clients.
The same assignment will be conducted on July 2017 for Cofcaville Upland Farmers Association in Quirino and Malabing Literacy Credit Organization in Nueva Vizcaya